> On Aug 19, 2016, at 12:53 PM, Chris Barker <chris.bar...@noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> starting a new thread, but this is related to the setuptols-_lite discussion,
> and the legacy formats discussion. In another thread Donald had a footnote:
>

> [1] We can tackle egg at a later point, when setuptools either has support
> for Wheels
>     or is less needed.
>
> So I'm wondering -- does anything else (other than setuptools) depend on eggs
> in any way? I know why I pip install stuff, I (always?) get egg-ish things
> installed:
>
> .egg-info
>
> directories and all that. Honestly, I'm confused -- is that making an actual
> egg? or is that name simply a legacy name for package meta data?
>
> In any case, does pip, or anything else, require it?
>
> For my part, I find it annoying, name aside -- it seems that all the package
> meta-data should be there in the package source already (pypacakge.toml?)

Part of the problems with “egg” is that the word “egg” ends up being used for
slightly similar, but somewhat different things. The .egg-info is the
installation metadata (and the newer format uses .dist-info instead of
.egg-info). That particular footnote was speaking about .egg files themselves,
uploaded to PyPI.

—
Donald Stufft