19.08.2016, 20:25, Daniel Holth kirjoitti:
Eggs are the only way to add a zipped distribution to PYTHONPATH and have setuptools find the metadata (the Python code can be found with or without the metadata; setuptools does not discover *.dist-info inside zip). Eggs are used by buildout, especially in the unzipped into a directory form. And they could still be used for their originally designed use as a plugin format.
What is not clear to me is who needs this. Is this not what virtualenvs are for? Or could wheels not be used for the same purpose? What am I missing?

One of the smaller problems with eggs is that everything had the same name. *.egg-info or EGG-INFO is the predecessor of the *.dist-info format designed in PEP-376. You get *.egg-info whenever you install something with setuptools without going through bdist_wheel.