20.08.2016, 01:41, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal kirjoitti:
Thanks, I think I'm getting it.

About the toml file... the *-info metadata is a compiled artifact, according to all the existing Python packages. Most sdists even have a *.egg-info directory.

If it's a compiled artifact, then shouldn't it NOT be in a source dist?

It is inconvenient if you want to know the true dependencies without running setup.py.

Isn't that what the toml file is for?
Isn't the toml file for specifying build dependencies, rather then runtime dependencies?

I think we are stuck with it, and it's not all bad - if there is some useful metadata that doesn't affect the dependency resolver, and it is "too static" or too cumbersome to write out by hand, there's a place to do that.

I'm trying to imagine what that info would be, but I suppose there could be meta data about a package that is generated at build time -- maybe info about how it was built, for instance.

Hmm -- maybe you could put info in there about non-Python shared libs it's linked to, for instance.

    Eggs are the only way to add a zipped distribution to PYTHONPATH
    and have setuptools find the metadata

Can pip find it in a zipped package? Remember, I don't care to support setuptools only features anyway :-)

    . Eggs are used by buildout, especially in the unzipped into a
    directory form

    And they could still be used for their originally designed use as
    a plugin format.

If pkg_resources gets spun off, would it support that?

     *.egg-info or EGG-INFO is the predecessor of the *.dist-info
    format designed in PEP-376. You get *.egg-info whenever you
    install something with setuptools without going through bdist_wheel.

So setuptools_lite would write a  dist_info.

I take it pip looks for both?