On 17 July 2017 at 22:48, Donald Stufft <don...@stufft.io> wrote:
> One point of issue with the PEP as it currently stands: I would greatly
> prefer it if we had a sigil to differentiate from "can't build the sdist,
> please fall back" from "an error has occurred trying to build the sdist".
> This would allow flit to return something that's says it can't build a sdist
> inn the current tree but won't end up swallowing legit errors from trying to
> build a sdist.

If Thomas is OK with it, I'd be fine with using "raise
NotImplementedError" for that purpose.

In flit's case, it would presumably be used to indicate that either
the VCS metadata or or the required VCS tools can't be found.

As an added bonus: the frontend could display the exception message as
part of executing the fallback.