I think the mm footer should be preceded by a signature delimiter ('-- ').
Is there any reason not to?

If there's not an HTML footer option yet, it's probably because you'd need
to change the tag structure and/or CSS.

<footer>message footer
</footer>

Copying and pasting from HTML into Gmail generally causes the message to be
imperceptibly upgraded to text/html.
Is there a way to tell whether a draft message is text/plain or multipart
text/html or?
Is there a way to keep messages as plaintext (text/plain) only; as people
on these lists seem to prefer?

- Desktop: Ctrl-Shift-V pastes as text/plain (Linux, )
- Android: Copy/paste to a memo app, back (strips the formatting), open
memo, Copy (Omni Notes, )
- iOS:

In addition to indicating that the entire message has transmitted and been
replied to in full,
redundant and obnoxious email footers are often deleted when replying
inline;
the '-- ' helps indicate what can/should (?) be trimmed from the reply
chain in order to keep it under 40KB. Is 40KB still the mm message size
limit?