On 05/01/2018 11:03 AM, Wes Turner wrote:
> I think the mm footer should be preceded by a signature delimiter ('--
> '). Is there any reason not to?

I have changed the '_______________________________________________'
line in the footer to '-- '.

If this creates a problem for anyone, let me know.

The rest of this is mostly off topic for this list. The issue of html
footers and/or adding footers to html message parts has been discussed
to death many times on the mailman-us...@python.org list and it is
discussed in our wiki at <https://wiki.list.org/x/4030707>.

Mailman only adds plain text footers to messages and adds them as a
separate MIME text/plain part to all but simple text/plain messages. We
have no plans to change that.

> Copying and pasting from HTML into Gmail generally causes the message to
> be imperceptibly upgraded to text/html.
> Is there a way to tell whether a draft message is text/plain or
> multipart text/html or?
> Is there a way to keep messages as plaintext (text/plain) only; as
> people on these lists seem to prefer?

Gmail likes to compose in html and send as multipart/alternative. If you
see a font selection and various formatting icons at the bottom of the
composition window, you are composing html. To compose plain text click
the downward triangle at the bottom right of the window and select plain
text mode.

> the '-- ' helps indicate what can/should (?) be trimmed from the reply
> chain in order to keep it under 40KB. Is 40KB still the mm message size
> limit?

That's a list setting. It is currently 40KB for this list.