On Sun, Jul 8, 2018, 04:25 Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In principle, I'm 100% on board with this. However, as is typical with
> packaging changes, we have a huge backward compatibility situation to
> address - the many packages on PyPI that are infrequently updated or
> maintained and yet still in common use. We also have a large body of
> users who build pip into their internal workflows, who often rely
> heavily on what to "normal pip usage" are obscure edge cases. I'd like
> to find some way of assessing the impact before we simply switch to
> full build isolation (we've already had a fair number of bug reports
> on pip that are triggered by build isolation, such as the ones that
> started this discussion).

I think it would be helpful for this discussion if we could look at these
bug reports – do does anyone have links?

Every new rollout will cause some issues. The crucial thing IME is to see
whether they're bugs in the implementation we can fix, whether there's a
simple way to improve error messages for other cases, ... etc. If they're
intractable issues that's very different than if they're teething pains :-)

-n