On 8 July 2018 at 15:41, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018, 04:25 Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> In principle, I'm 100% on board with this. However, as is typical with
>> packaging changes, we have a huge backward compatibility situation to
>> address - the many packages on PyPI that are infrequently updated or
>> maintained and yet still in common use. We also have a large body of
>> users who build pip into their internal workflows, who often rely
>> heavily on what to "normal pip usage" are obscure edge cases. I'd like
>> to find some way of assessing the impact before we simply switch to
>> full build isolation (we've already had a fair number of bug reports
>> on pip that are triggered by build isolation, such as the ones that
>> started this discussion).
>

> I think it would be helpful for this discussion if we could look at these
> bug reports – do does anyone have links?

Good point. I will hunt them out and post here.

> Every new rollout will cause some issues. The crucial thing IME is to see
> whether they're bugs in the implementation we can fix, whether there's a
> simple way to improve error messages for other cases, ... etc. If they're
> intractable issues that's very different than if they're teething pains :-)

Agreed. My impression (and it is only an impression) is that the main
issue is with people being taken by surprise with new behaviour, which
is a combination of things:

1. Poor communication (as noted earlier, we struggle to even reach
many of our users)
2. A general principle of "you should use the latest pip" (i.e., our
check and warning for if you're using the current version)
3. People using pip in ways we didn't consider

I think it's important that we don't let the standardisation and
improvement process get stalled by a fear of affecting people's
workflows, but at the same time I think we should consider transition
paths.

Paul