On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, at 11:50 AM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 16 July 2018 at 11:05, Thomas Kluyver <tho...@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:
> > My proposal was 2a ;-). And that's still my inclination, as we've got
> > examples of people using pyproject.toml for unrelated purposes that
> > shouldn't affect how the package is built.
>
> OK. Unless we change pip, that means that the PEP would be suggesting
> that tools use a behaviour different from pip. I'm not comfortable
> with that (which is why I left the choice unspecified) but nor has
> anyone convinced me that pip should change. Real world experience with
> 2b in pip 10 has shown very little in the way of actual issues
> reported by users, and we (pip) *do* want to make isolation the norm
> in the long run.

IIRC pip can't do effective isolation yet, so any problems that do arise from
this are still largely theoretical. I *am* suggesting that pip should switch to
2a while this functionality is still new enough to make that relatively
feasible. I'm not volunteering to make the changes, though, so feel free to
ignore me. ;-)

Thomas