On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 20:16 Brett Cannon, <br...@python.org> wrote:

> I will update the PEP and add you as a reviewer, Paul (might not get to it
> until Friday, though).
>
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 02:23 Paul Moore, <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The discussion on this appears to have died down.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the consensus is essentially:
>>
>> 1. It should be legal for pyproject.toml to *not* contain a
>> [build-system] section.
>> 2. If a [build-system] section is present, the requires key must be
>> present.
>>
>> Tools should behave as follows:
>>
>> 1. If [build-system] is present but requires is missing, raise an error.
>> 2. If [build-system] is missing, they can take one of the following
>> two approaches:
>>    a) Act as if pyproject.toml is missing altogether
>>    b) Act as if [build-system] is present, with a requires value of
>> ["setuptools", "wheel"]
>>
>> Whether tools act differently in cases 2a and 2b is tool-dependent
>> (for pip, we would isolate in case 2b but not in case 2a) which is why
>> the choice is left to individual tools. That makes the
>> "Thomas/Nathaniel" debate into a tool implementation choice, and both
>> of the options are allowable from the perspective of the PEP.
>>
>> Is everyone OK with this resolution? If so, will someone raise a PR
>> for PEP 518? I can do that if no-one else can.

While I don't mind if we'd go ahead with this (and 2b, to not change
existing behavior), I still think making the key mandatory would be a
good/better idea.

The visibility (and hence familiarity) that this would gain from the
specification of build-system.requires being mandatory would be nice to
have. I feel that this would otherwise be a missed opportunity to push for
the key and standard to be more visible to users and packagers.

The transitory cost for existing packages that break due to this being
mandatory would probably be fairly minor (I realize that this point is
where I dwelled into implementation details earlier, so I'll not digress
there now).

Pradyun