On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 21:11 Paul Moore, <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 July 2018 at 15:56, Pradyun Gedam <pradyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 16 Jul 2018, 20:16 Brett Cannon, <br...@python.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I will update the PEP and add you as a reviewer, Paul (might not get to
> it
> >> until Friday, though).

> error.

> > While I don't mind if we'd go ahead with this (and 2b, to not change
> > existing behavior), I still think making the key mandatory would be a
> > good/better idea.
>
> I get the feeling that no-one is sufficiently motivated to argue
> strongly for any particular resolution - which is why my summary is
> basically "accept the current behaviour as correct" :-)

I just perceive this as a case of - there's a nicer and arguably, cleaner
option and there's not much cost to getting there. Let's do that. :)

I don't mind the status quo though.

> > The visibility (and hence familiarity) that this would gain from the
> > specification of build-system.requires being mandatory would be nice to
> > have. I feel that this would otherwise be a missed opportunity to push
> for
> > the key and standard to be more visible to users and packagers.
>
> But adoption of pyproject.toml as a standard configuration file by
> projects like towncrier and black is doing that already.

I'm referring to familiarity with the build-system table (through
build-system.requires being mandatory). If you have to add that table/key
when using those tools, people who work on those projects get to know about
the table.

> > The transitory cost for existing packages that break due to this being
> > mandatory would probably be fairly minor (I realize that this point is
> where
> > I dwelled into implementation details earlier, so I'll not digress there
> > now).
>
> I believe the transition costs for projects (and their users) using
> pyproject.toml for config only are:
>
> Optional, only isolate if [build-system] is present: None
> Optional, isolate if pyproject.toml is present: The few *end users*
> for whom isolation breaks the build have to pass --no-build-isolation
> Mandatory: The *project* has to add the [build-system] section, and
> make a new release. End users have to wait for that release.

Not really. With mandatory, you can use --no-isolation - it would still
work fine for basically every user that has setuptools and wheel installed
in their current environment (that's almost every environment I'd say).

> If I've got that right, the costs for making the key mandatory are a
> lot higher.

My intuition/feeling here is that this cost is worth the network effects
that would make more users familiar with them.

Pradyun

The costs for 2b are there, but a lot smaller (and the end