On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 19:48, Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I'm trying to gauge is, if the plan is for pipenv not to depend
> on pip, and pipenv has strictly greater functionality than pip, then
> what purpose will PyPA have in continuing to develop pip in addition
> to pipenv?

That's not the plan, as all of pip's features for actually
installing/uninstalling packages, and for introspecting the *as built*
package environment, aren't things where pipenv's needs diverge from
pip's.

Where their needs diverge is at the dependency resolver level, as
pipenv needs to be able to generate a lock file for an arbitrary
target environment that may not match the currently running Python
interpreter *without* necessarily installing those packages anywhere
(although it may need to build wheels to get the dependency listing),
whereas pip has the more concrete task of "get theses packages and
their dependencies installed into the currently active environment".

If it helps, think of pipenv relating to pip in much the same way as
pip-tools (pip-compile/pip-sync) relates to pip, just with Pipfile and
Pipfile.lock instead of requirements.in and requirements.txt.