On Sat, 11 May 2019 at 02:18, Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that RTFM is not a good answer to a serious question.

it's about context

if there's a thread on here about ways in which Apache marginalizes people,
and we're having a back and forth about it, and someone new on the list
chips in and wants to know how that sort of thing works given that a lot of
the interaction happens via email, I am sure that many people on this list
(including me) would be more than happy to go into the details

when somebody posts a drive-by question saying "uh uh uh uh. so. how can I
discriminate against people if all I'm doing is writing code. code is just
maths. and maths isn't political" that is something quite different

So let's give everyone a chance to come here and try to understand what
> we're trying to do, even if it becomes repetitive. Over and over. Because
> that is what it will take.

I hope that this list becomes a place where we can all learn from each
other. and where people who are new to D&I type initiatives can come and
learn what they're about, how they work, and how to contribute

but fundamentally, this is list must be a place for us to *get work done*.
it mustn't be treated as a gratis "intro to social and political theory"
class, or discussion forum about diversity in tech

if people are interested in the wider topic, learning for themselves, and
so on, I am sure that many people on this list will be happy to provide
resources. and indeed, maybe we could compile a reading list for people who
are interested in that

I don't have the energy to try to convince people that there are issues,
that D&I is important, that we should do something about it, etc, etc,
"over and over" (and over and over)_

we don't "win" by convincing drive-by trolls that the work we're doing is
important. (that will never happen). we "win" by getting the work done