On 10/05/2019 20:55, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> Yes, I have a lot to learn — for example, I don’t know nor care about the
> sexual or gender orientation of anyone in the Apache community where I’m
> focused on: Apache NetBeans.
>
> Can you simply explain why any of this matters, when I cannot possibly
> discriminate against anyone’s sexual or gender orientation since code and
> coding do not reflect or express these orientations in any way

If all contributions at the ASF were anonymous that would be true. But
they are not.

A couple of things to consider:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/12/women-considered-better-coders-hide-gender-github

Google "Unconscious bias"

> — and bear
> in mind you and I are participating in massive cultural appropriation by
> being in an organization called “Apache”. :-)

For the record, years ago the ASF reached out to the relevant Native
Americans to check if they were happy with us using the name Apache and
they confirmed that they were.

> I am waiting for Apache indians to complain but they are not. And neither
> should you. Code, like maths, like numbers, are outside these discussions.
>
> Please teach me how your being a trans woman has any impact on the code you
> write or contribute. Where are the gendered power dynamics, yes, maybe I am
> part of the problem — so please show me where and how.

I don't think any committer* at the ASF is consciously discriminating
against anyone.

However, the stats we have indicate that something is happening. The
make up of our communities does not track (i.e. is way beyond any
reasonable margin or error) the make up of the communities from where
our committers come from. Take that and add it to the reports we get
from members of the groups that are under-represented that their
experience of the ASF is frequently negative then that suggests to me
that there is more we could be doing to be inclusive.

I don't want anyone to feel unwelcome at the ASF. If there are things I
can do to make other people feel more welcome then I want to find out
about them.

Mark

* I said committer here because I am aware of some very clear, very
deliberate discrimination from members of the broader community in more
than one project. It was most unpleasant and it got worse when they were
called on it. On two occasions I am aware of, it ended up being referred
to law enforcement. Fortunately, it is very rare.