chill wrote:

> In those last three examples, the time intervals between the double
> interrupts are 11.7ms, 10.1ms and 12.4ms respectively.  So at first
> sight, if you were to limit the VOLU interrupt rate to one every 20ms
> (instead of the 500ms used with TRAC), then those double interrupts
> would be prevented from causing two increments - they could be treated
> as one event, which could be programmed to send whatever volume
> increment the user had chosen.  20ms would correspond to 50 possible
> events per second, which feels like it should still be fast enough - I
> couldn't physically turn my 30-increment encoder through 1.67
> revolutions in 1 second.  But maybe the 20ms could be a
> user-configurable parameter too.

this is where it's messy.  The encoder interrupt runs in the background
adding + or - increments,  Every 100 ms, the encoder count is retrieved,
and a volume command is sent if there was a change.   So I would need to
add dampening to the interrupt, which I did for buttons, but I need to
check the behavior with encoders.

> Can I just check a previous detail?  I'm pretty sure you're aware of
> this, but just in case we've got crossed wires and you thought I was
> referring to the original sbpd.  The pigpio version currently sends the
> command associated with the first button in the list whenever I press
> any programmed button.  You explained the difference in the way the pin
> is identified, but your explanation implied it would be simpler to know
> which button has been pressed under pigpio, so it seems odd that the
> wrong commands are being sent.  Apologies if you're aware of this - I
> know that version was only a proof of concept etc.

I've only been talking about the pigpio version.  I've not tested with 2
buttons,  can you show be a trace with 2 buttons, and long an short
presses of each button.

piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
Homepage: https://www.picoreplayer.org

Please 'donate'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=U7JHY5WYHCNRU&lc=GB&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted)
if you like the piCorePlayer