"Jacob Kaplan-Moss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Reading over what I've written so far, it seems that I'm shying away  from
> difficult tasks.  Perhaps I am, but the fact is that the longer  we linger
> in a pre-release stage the more our potential community  slips away.  I
> don't use the number "1.0" lightly, and I know that it  locks us in
> somewhat, but that very lockin is what draws developers  to stable code.
> Most of the big feature you propose are things that  I would give my left
> thumb to see added to Django, but at the same  time I don't want Django to
> become a project that lingers in  perpetual pre-release.  If we decide
> that these features can't be  done in a backwards-compatible way and have
> to release a 2.0 six  months after 1.0, what's the harm in that?

+1.

Waxing philosophical: what version do we have now? 0.0? I didn't think we
were doing 0.x stuff. I did think of it as 1.0 Beta NNN because our goal is
1.0. When we will do incompatible changes after 1.0, it is not 1.x Rev MMM
anymore --- it is 2.0 Beta MMM.

Django was useable the first day it was published. To me that was 1.0
version even it was not called like that. Okay, let's call it 0.0 and
release 1.0 now incorporating small changes and adding a few documents. Why
bother with 0.9 stuff? It is just a name. All big stuff mentioned in this
thread is going to be rolled in and released as 2.0 as soon as it is
finished.

Thanks,

Eugene