Inline.

"James Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Many so-called "AJAX libraries" are as heavy on the "visual DHTML

"So-called" by whom?

>For example, Rails includes an "AJAX library" called Prototype; this
>library provides "AJAX" functionality in that it delivers a facility
>for making asynchronous server calls from the client via JavaScript,
>but it also provides a number of easily-used visual DHTML effects.

What "easily-used visual DHTML effects" are provided by Prototype? It is
good to learn from knowledgeable people. Discussions with them are
priceless!

>Is this a conceptual confusion on the part of those who refer to these
>as "AJAX libraries"? Possibly. Is it nonetheless extremely convenient
>to have tight integration between the code which talks to the server
>and the code which displays the retrieved resources? Absolutely. Does

Care to give some examples? I always thought that it is not necessary but I
am frequently wrong.

>this mean that "AJAX libraries" will probably continue to include
>visual DHTML effects for the foreseeable future? Yes.

I see now --- just like so-called Prototype does.

>And XMLHttpRequest is not a visual effect; a visual effect causes a
>visible change in the page. But an XMLHttpRequest, by itself, does no

Now you are straying from your previous definition. Don't give up! Stay the
course!

>such thing; it simply retrieves a resource from a server. Only when
>combined with DHTML techniques to present the returned resource does a
>"visual effect" take place.

I see my mistake now. It should be combined. If it is not combined, it is
just "AJAX effect". I guess the big picture is:

1) So-called "AJAX library" produces so-called "AJAX effect".
2) Server produces "Python effect" in response (it has to have "AJAX in the
core" for that).
3) It causes number of "visual effects" in a browser of unsuspected user, if
"AJAX effect" was combined.

I hope now I got it right.

Thanks,

Eugene