On 8/9/06, gabor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hmmm.. are you sure that the situation with unicode-aware editors is so bad?
>
> could you name some non-unicode-aware editors?
> for me it seems that from notepad through vim to eclipse everything does
> unicode fine...

On Windows, I used UltraEdit, which is a very popular editor.  $25ish
with very nice features.
It claims to support unicode, but I've tested with it and it horribly
mangles anything but UTF-8.  Worse, you can open a UTF-8 file as
though it were ASCII, then save as unicode, causing double-encoding.

I hearby degree that all strings in computing should have a charset
associated with them.

Damn, it didn't work.