Carl,
Thats application settings which are stored in a db (thus dbsettings -
with no space). See http://code.google.com/p/django-values/ for more
info.

Marty,
I have not yet used your app (although I had intended to until I read
this) so I assumed you had worked this out already. The thing is, if
each process has to look to a central location to retrieve/update, why
not use the db as that central location? Perhaps the way to go is to
have an option to turn caching on or off. Then, when deployed, the
user could use one of a few pluggable backends (your current
implementation, memcached, etc) to get caching to work.

That way, in the simple case, caching is turned off and it's not an
issue. In the more complex cases, the user can choose the caching
mechanism that he can provide the dependencies for if need be.

--
----
Waylan Limberg