On 6/26/07, Waylan Limberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have not yet used your app (although I had intended to until I read
> this) so I assumed you had worked this out already. The thing is, if
> each process has to look to a central location to retrieve/update, why
> not use the db as that central location? Perhaps the way to go is to
> have an option to turn caching on or off. Then, when deployed, the
> user could use one of a few pluggable backends (your current
> implementation, memcached, etc) to get caching to work.

The more I look into it, the more I'm considering exactly that. It
would certainly be the easiest way to get it out the door, and any
good coder will say not to bother with optimizations (such as caching)
until you know whether it's a real concern. For cases where the
existing in-process cache won't work, it can just look at the db each
time, then see if anybody has any real complaints about the speed of
such a solution.

>From some basic reading, it seems mod_python should be alone in this
problem. FastCGI, for instance, looks like it all runs in a single
process, so installations there should be fine. With that in mind, I'm
considering using mod_python's mpm_query[1] to see if the current MPM
forks (which is where the problem occurs). That way I don't have to
add another action to the installation process, and I don't clutter up
settings.py with such a  special-purpose setting. I'm not sure on that
yet, though.

As for why I hadn't run into this myself yet, I haven't actually done
any work with mod_python until a couple days ago. I've been working
entirely with Django's development server, where everything works just
fine.

Thoughts, anyone?

-Gul

[1] http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/pyapi-apmeth.html#l2h-40