On 7/15/07, Tai Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd rather petition the PostgreSQL developers to optimise count(*) and
> suggest Django users implement their own changes or workaround in the
> meantime if they're working with large datasets where count(*) is a
> serious performance penalty.

The two options (implement hackish exists() for PostgresSQL/etc., or
petition the database developers to optimize the call) aren't mutually
exclusive; we can strive for purity in the long run while dealing with
the practical reality at hand.  There's enough weirdness abstracted
away in the db backends already; that's their point.  :-)