On 8/25/07, Russell Keith-Magee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However I don't see any other way to kill the max_length problem. One
> the one hand, the max_length problem is is an RTFM issue - but on the
> other hand, if multiple users keep making the the same error over and
> over again, there comes a point at which you have to question whether
> the documentation is really the problem.

Well.

Since we've already made a lot of backwards-incompatible changes since
0.96, I'd like to wait and see if we can land the last one --
newforms-admin and the removal of oldforms -- before we do another
release, since it'd be nice to just get as much of it out of the way
on one release as possible. That way, people who upgrade don't have to
go through the hassle of updating their code just to hear that we're
going to break it all again in a little while.

The documentation issue is tough, because it really is a RTFM issue:
all that's needed is some way to make it very clear to users of 0.96
that they ned to use the 0.96 docs, and I wonder if perhaps changing
the documentation landing page to be the 0.96 version instead of the
SVN version (and perhaps setting up /documentation/svn/ for those who
are using SVN and who can hopefully read the message at the top of
every documentation page) might help with that -- the problem is that
people are just clicking the first documentation they see, and
ignoring any and all warnings to the contrary, so let's make sure that
the first documentation they see is the right documentation.

So I'd ben tentatively -1 on doing a release, and more interested in
finding a solution to the documentation problem -- we're going to need
that solution anyway, or else we're going to end up in hot water every
time there's something new in SVN that doesn't work in the previous
release.