On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 10:27 +0200, Nicola Larosa wrote:
> Adrian Holovaty wrote:
[...]
> > But the problem isn't with the documentation improvements, of course --
> > those don't confuse people (we hope!). The problem is with the parts of
> > the documentation that are specific to the Django development version.
>
> It does not work. You cannot really get people to use the trunk docs, but
> in many places say: "Oh, by the way, this little thing changed, please
> refer to the *right* release docs, but do come back when you're done, thank
> you." again and again.
>
> It's confusing, and annoying: it's not worth it.

You've picked only one use-case. On the other hand we also get quite a
bit of feedback where people indicate that the improvements to the docs
have clarified things for them, so clearly some people are reading the
improvements and getting benefit from them, even if they're not using
the subversion code. There's a lot more to the docs than just the "new
in latest release features".

> Come on, you made a release, accept it for what it is, with its code, *and*
> its docs. Anyone wanting better code, *or* better docs, should just use the
> trunk.

That (upgrading to trunk code) isn't always possible, as you know. It's
simply not practical to always track the latest subversion code if you
have a production product built on one codebase or if there are multiple
people working on a project in an organisation.

Please accept that people are already using the docs in the way Adrian
mentioned (this is clear from the mailing lists and ticket reports).
Claims that it doesn't work would seem to be tempered somewhat by the
existing evidence. I appreciate your position is that we shouldn't
bother, but you need to at least acknowledge it's not a one-sided
argument.

Malcolm

--
I've got a mind like a... a... what's that thing called?
http://www.pointy-stick.com/blog/