The default setting for ADMIN_MEDIA is /media/. The doc on serving
static media (under the "big, fat disclaimer") suggests using /
site_media/ for other (non-admin) media. The doc on mod_python
deployment suggests using /media/ for media in general, and mentions
that under the development server, admin media is automagically served
up (in the default case) from its location in django/contrib/admin/
media/. (This is in fact done in django/core/management/commands/
runserver.py, in function inner_run()).

So we have some options, such as the following examples:

1. Use /media/ for site media in general and /admin_media/ for admin
media. This certainly seems natural, it's what the ticket, The OP and
Michael Trier's blog entry are suggesting. To some (including me), no
strong reason was given for the wontfix - given that there are bigger
backwards-incompatible changes around.
2. Use /media/ for admin media and e.g. /site_media/ for media. This
seems less intuitive - a bit like the tail wagging the dog.

However, it's not unreasonable to suppose that many user apps, some of
them intended for "drop in" usage, will have static media; so there
ought to be a convention (TOOWTDI) about how media URLs are organised.
A reasonable approach would be that the media root for any app is
conventionally /media/app_label. This is easily organisable under
Apache/mod_python by having a single media location /media/ for which
you do a "SetHandler None", then create a "media" directory in the
Apache document root, and in that directory create symbolic links to
app_label1 -> /path/to/media/for/app/with/label/app_label1, etc.

This convention leads to a default of /media/admin/ for
ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX, and /document_root/media/admin being symlinked to
the location of the Django admin media. This way, the admin app is
consistent with all other apps. After all, isn't it true that the
admin is just another Django app, albeit a very very useful one? It'd
be a good change to make before the 1.0 release, IMO. If y'all agree
it's a reasonable idea, the docs could be updated to suggest/recommend
this convention explicitly.

Have I missed anything? I'm sure I can count on you to set me right.

Just my $0.02,

Vinay Sajip