Paul,

I believe this issue has been brought up in various ways before. I'd
suggest searching the list archives and old closed tickets. You'll
likely find your answer there.

More generally, there is already a mechanism in place to override the
default behavior and implement your own (building your own auth
backend), so I suspect  the core devs would prefer that you do that
rather than build everyones minor feature request into the core.
Actually, I believe there are at least a few existing solutions out
there. A search should turn up a few gems for you.

--
----
Waylan Limberg