On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Malcolm Tredinnick
<malc...@pointy-stick.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 01:54 -0300, Leo Soto M. wrote:
> [...]
>> So I've uploaded a small patch on #10071[4] which does the
>> normalization to int instead of unicode. I tested it with sqlite
>> (which was the problematic backend) and it doesn't break any test.
>>
>> Now, my questions are:
>>
>>  - Is this change OK or would it be considered as backwards
>> incompatible for slightly changing the interface with DB backends? On
>> the pragmatic side I'd like to point that this doesn't break anything
>> on the built-in backends but it would be good get confirmation from
>> other external backend developers.
>
> That area of the code was really problematic just before 1.0. I'll dig
> through my memory and read the changes around that time to try and
> remember what the tricks were, but I have a recollection we tried to
> initially go directly to ints and something or other didn't work
> (something form or admin related).

I spent around an hour digging in the history of that code, and come
to the following reasoning: the problems were caused by two mismatches
between what the backend expected and what it got:

- After the get_db_prep_* refactoring, backend expected int, but the
admin passed unicode. This caused #8424.
- The fix for #8424 was to expect unicode on the backend. But most
usages passed an int. Caused #8510.
- The fix for #8510 was to normalize everything to unicode. Both sides
talk happily now :)

So, this little change is based on keep both sides synchronized but
with a better contract. However, people who can remember the actual
facts may be able to confirm or correct my reasoning.

>>  - If the change is OK, could it make it into the 1.0.X branch? That'd
>> be very good, as we are targeting Django 1.0 on the django-jython
>> project.
>
> I'd call it a bug fix for that reason. Jython support on 1.0 is/was one
> of our goals.
>
> Has something changed that made this only show up now? Or has it always
> been there and you just didn't notice?

It has always been there.

Regards,
--