I don't think errors in error templates is a problem specific to Django.
I've run into this problem in other frameworks, including when I was messing
around with my own in PHP. If you have an exception handler that is itself a
candidate for exceptions, you end up with trouble.

-1 for showing the user something cryptic because of an obscure error in the
error template.

Mike.