On Sep 29, 2:00 pm, Waylan Limberg <way...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The hard part is that basicConfig only works like that back to Python
> 2.4 yet Django supports 2.3. When I added logging to Python-Markdown,
> this was the hardest part. Figuring out how to configure logging so
> that it works in 2.3 as well. The documentation is not exactly helpful
> in that regard.

Did you ask any questions on python-list? How were they responded to?
The answer is pretty simple, just like in parts of Django - if it's
not supported by an older version of Python, you just try and copy the
relevant bits from the later version of Python (or simplejson, say).

I generally monitor both python-list regularly for logging issues and
questions, and numerous other people on the list also weigh in when
people ask logging-related questions. So if in doubt, ask - you should
generally get a friendly and hopefully helpful response.

> In fact, it was for this very reason that we added our own wrapper
> around logging. It didn't seem reasonable for our users to go through
> the same pain that we did. Sure we got a few things wrong at first,
> but with the help of a few people in the community we worked those out
> and our wrapper seems to work ok now. Yes - ok - I get the sense it
> could be better.
>
> Ever since then, any mention of logging leaves a bad taste in my
> mouth. Perhaps if I was working only in 2.6 or such, this wouldn't be
> an issue, but we have promised support back to 2.3.
>
> Of course, it is possible that I'm missing something obvious.

If you had asked around on python-list and got fobbed off, perhaps a
bad taste in your mouth would be understandable. But there's no reason
for it - the Python developers didn't set out to make things difficult
for you, and the community is generally very helpful. In fact it was
the help I got when I started with Python that motivated me to
contribute something back in the first place.

I'm also responsive to feature enhancement requests added via
bugs.python.org - while not every suggestion gets accepted, there's
been a steady stream of incremental improvements to the logging
package and documentation thanks to specific suggestions by members of
the Python community (not to mention patches).

Remember, these are all volunteer projects and while we all want to
help, it's easier to latch onto specific problems and issues rather
than work with an amorphous goal which begins and ends with "improve
things". Notice how popular Stack Overflow is these days - that's an
example of how you can get help by being specific and asking targeted
questions. So please, raise any questions and/or issues on python-
list, bugs.python.org, Stack Overflow, etc.

Now I'll get off my soapbox.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip