Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Rob Hudson <r...@cogit8.org> wrote:
>
>> I, too, like the idea of a conference site.  It fills a void and
>> sounds useful for upcoming conferences.  I wasn't too crazy about the
>> blog idea, and was convinced away from the snippets idea.  So shall we
>> call it a conference site and move on?  :)
>>

> A conference site it is then.
>
> One piece of guidance, especially if you're aiming for the final site
> to be used for DjangoCon. Keep in mind that a tutorial needs to be
> simple at the start. However, a real site for a conference will be a
> lot more complex. There is a delicate balance that will need to be
> made between "useful tutorial example" and "useful real site".

My strong feeling is that these two goals will quickly become impossible
to reconcile.  I think the idea of a conference site is a good one
(everyone will understand the problem domain, lots of interesting
avenues to explore, it's not yet-another-blog), but aiming for it to be
the actual site used for DjangoCon will not work in the long run.

The tutorial is extremely important.  It will be the first part of the
docs read by 98% of new users.  Don't complicate it by tying it to
DjangoCon.  This thread has already seen requests for features that will
be great for real use, but would probably be too much to put into a
tutorial.  While it would be very cool to have the two sites be just one
site, I think it will either create an overgrown underexplained tutorial
as DjangoCon adds features needed for a real-world conference site, or a
simplistic toy DjangoCon site because the tutorial needs to ensure that
everything is clean, understandable, and accompanied by clear prose.

Why not serve just one master well, and have the tutorial be purely
about exposition and pedagogy?

Am I being too pessimistic?

--Ned.