I've done this before: http://thisweekindjango.com/screencasts/
( http://github.com/ericflo/startthedark )

I can attest, from the amount of feedback that I've received about
that series of screencasts, that building an entire website from the
ground up is extremely valuable to beginners.  It's also a fairly
massive amount of work.  There's a lot that's changed in the Django
ecosystem since those screencasts, so I'm excited about the prospect
of a fresh new tutorial.

Some lessons I learned along the way:

* Develop the entire site first, and then deconstruct it into the
pieces

My first attempt I didn't do this, and I ended up having to scrap it
and start over after having built the whole site.  This will save you
so many headaches later down the line.

* Actually launch the site somewhere

Last week or so I forgot to renew the startthedark.com domain, and (to
my surprise) I've gotten several e-mails from people about it.  People
apparently really do go to the site itself to see it in action before
watching the screencasts.

* Have the bits and pieces of code in-line with the tutorial, but also
provide a full checkout of the entire site

A lot of what people need to know can be contained in the tutorials,
but what some people need is to actually see the full picture--
everything and how it all fits together, down to the minute details.
This may be less of a problem now with Pinax on the scene, but that
was one major piece of feedback that I had was that people liked being
able to download the whole source tree.

Hrm, I feel like I have more battle scars, but right now I can't think
of anything else.  I'll be around so feel free to ask me any questions
or whatever.

Thanks,
Eric Florenzano