> * We should de-emphasize the "apps live inside of projects" thing.

+1 on that. In fact I wonder whether we should in fact emphasize just
the opposite -- that apps should *not* live inside of projects.  I get
that one of the purposes of the tutorial is to get you up and running
fast, but when someone's trying to get a quick start and not really
paying attention to comments like "we'll show how to de-couple later",
they may just follow the pattern given and unconsciously assume that
it's the usual way to do things. IMO startproject and startapp are
misleading because 1) they sound necessary, but they're not; 2) they
don't really do much for you; and 3) folks are led to use manage.py
instead of django-admin, which causes confusion down the road.  I'm
not an expert in pedagogy, but it seems preferable to me to
demonstrate best practices up front.

Thanks,
David