> 1) If we encourage people to write their own regex if they want
> tighter email validation, we run the risk that users will
> inadvertently introduce the same bug that we have just fixed.

Russell raises my biggest concern with this proposal.  There are
a lot of smart folks in the Django-Developers end of things that
can cobble together a pretty legit regexp that covers the
majority of cases with no horrific DOS cases (e.g. last security
issue).

I've seen the regexps created by people who don't comprehend them
and it's UGLY.  This proposal basically throws those people to
the wolves.

I'd much rather Django provided an email field that got most of
the way and let regexp-understanding users tweak if needed.  But
I'd hate to see somebody opening themselves to email addresses like

   <script>bad_stuff()</script>@wherever.space space.&

or

   f...@domain.tld\x0a\0x0dfrom: s...@spammer.spam\x0a\0x0dto:
s...@spimmer.spim\x0a\x0d\x0a\x0dspam, spam, spam!

which can (without added caution) inject headers into sent-mail.

My initial candidate is ticket #12005, though it merely
re.VERBOSE's the original and tweaks the domain portion to meet
an internal need.  Some changes on the stuff before the "@" might
make it more "relaxed" (if not RFC-compliant-ish) while keeping
out some of the badness.

-tim