> Russell raises my biggest concern with this proposal.  There are
> a lot of smart folks in the Django-Developers end of things that
> can cobble together a pretty legit regexp that covers the
> majority of cases with no horrific DOS cases (e.g. last security
> issue).

> My initial candidate is ticket #12005, though it merely
> re.VERBOSE's the original and tweaks the domain portion to meet
> an internal need.  Some changes on the stuff before the "@" might
> make it more "relaxed" (if not RFC-compliant-ish) while keeping
> out some of the badness.

Of course it would also be possible to use a non-regex approach. There
are libraries by Dominic Sayers [1] and Cal Henderson [2] with a ton
of tests. Unfortunately they are written in PHP but shouldn't be to
hard to translate to Python. As a bonus the authors claim these
libraries to validate fully RFC compliant.

Ulrich

[1] http://www.dominicsayers.com/isemail/
[2] http://code.iamcal.com/php/rfc822/