I'm not arguing that the proposal is inherently bad, just that it was
being proposed without understanding the existing solution.
Personally, I use a custom model that inherits from Site to manage my
sites, so it's not like I'm thrilled with the current system either.

I would actually be +0 on adding this as a feature for some future
released, particularly if it was simple, and Site.get_current()-
compatible.

Getting some feedback from the core devs would be great, but they've
definitely got more important things on their minds with the 1.2
deadlines looming. (the ticket list is shrinking fast, though! Keep up
the great work!)

All the best,

    - Gabriel