On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 6:42 PM, David Larlet <lar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Russell Keith-Magee a écrit :
>
>>  * Conversion of the github project into a patch on trunk.
>
> Do you see that as a total replacement of actual views.generic or should we
> go for a old/new dance?

Unless you're proposing to maintain backwards compatibility with the
old APIs, we can't just remove the old ones. This essentially means an
old/new arrangement of some kind is required. I'm not especially hung
up on the name, as long as it's simple and memorable.

>>  * Feedback on the API, especially the generic view replacements.
>
> A first feedback from a fork [1], I think it can be interesting to move the
> paginate view too.

Sounds like an interesting idea.

>> I already have one specific piece of API feedback: the current
>> implementation requires that all view logic is contained in GET(),
>> POST() etc style views. This is fine, except for the fact that there
>> are occasions where GET and POST share a lot of common logic. It would
>> make sense to me to allow for a request() method that is the direct
>> analog of how we do views right now, wrapping lines 53-59 of base.py
>> into a request() method. This would allow users to define their own
>> dispatch mechanisms, or share logic between GET and POST (and any
>> other http method) as necessary.
>
> What do you think of [2], is that what you have in mind? I chose dispatch,
> as Luke suggested, because request can be confusing.

As I said in my response to Luke -- it's not only confusing; it's
impossible due tot he clash with self.request. Beyond that, it's a bit
of a bikeshed. dispatch(), handle(), or anything else simple and
memorable will be fine.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)