I know I'm not a core dev but I do have two cents.

I'm not really in favor of overthinking this too much--I think a
satisfactory replacement for raw_id_fields is good enough (adequately
encompasses all the features). I know there are a lot of mature
projects out there when it comes to AjaxFields and I don't think its
up to django.contrib.admin to compete with them--they are there to use
and can easily be integrated into admin for those who require advanced
features.

As for the big picture of admin in 5 years, its certainly a good
question but I'm not sure that its 'the question to be asked first of
all'. Overthinking like this stalls tickets, sometimes indefinitely.

Please don't think I'm trying to hinder discussion. I just don't think
making an absolute answer to that discussion a contingency of this
called-for feature.

-Steve