We're playing semantic leapfrog here, but I don't see the proposed Ajax
solution as "searching", I see it as "autocompleting"; people won't use it
to discover content, they will use it as a shortcut for accessing content
that they are familiar with. As I said, much of the utility of the
raw_id_fields popup is that it allows content discovery, which is an
important use caseā€”not all admin users will be perfectly familiar with the
content.

I am in full favor of an Ajax autocomplete widget (which, as I said, already
exists in the admin-ui branch), but do not want it to replace raw_id_fields;
their uses cases are completely disparate.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 12:05 AM, subs...@gmail.com <subs...@gmail.com>wrote:

> With the AJAX field implementation on the table you're free to
> represent the objects however you want. Yeah, there's a few things
> left out but did you really say 'no searching'?
>
> -Steve
>
> On Oct 3, 10:09 pm, Chuck Harmston <ch...@chuckharmston.com> wrote:
> > it's based on the assumption that the user knows the value of the unicode
> > representation of the object. It does not allow for discovery like the
> > raw_id_fields popup does: no filtering, no sorting, no searching, and no
> > browsing. I am a strong -1 this.

*
Chuck Harmston
*