On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Russell Keith-Magee
<russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:
> There are a bunch of modifications that we want to make to
> docs.djangoproject.com, and providing support for other languages is
> part of those improvements. Some recent additions to Sphinx should
> make it much easier to manage this process.
>
> If you want to help out set up the infrastructure to make this happen,
> there was a recent call for volunteers on the Django Software
> Foundation's members and volunteers list [1]; if you jump on that list
> now, it's not too late to register your interest in helping out (ok..
> the deadline has passed, but we're not going to pass up any offer of
> volunteer help).

Another way to help: I'm currently working on a cleanup and refactor
of the djangoproject.com website code, including docs. This'll go live
along with a new server we're moving to -- soon, no, really this time!

The current state-of-the-art is in the somewhat-badly-named
"community_redux" branch on my Github account:
http://github.com/jacobian/djangoproject.com/tree/community_redux, and
I would *gladly* take input and/or patches into how to start adding
multi-language support.

There are some tricky problems to solve -- most notably the issue of
tracking which bits of content have been translated into which
languages and how up-to-date with the original English docs those are
-- but I would be thrilled to see someone start working on these
things.

(Eventually that code'll migrate back to SVN and follow our normal
contribution process, but for some legacy reasons I can't actually
commit this stuff back to SVN without breaking the current site at the
moment. Just one more thing to fix on the new server...)

Jacob