On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Jim Dalton <jim.dal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have not had time to try out the patch, but did look at it. Doesn't the
> base implementation of disable_foreign_key_checks need to return False
> instead of just passing? The return value is used in loaddata processing to
> decide whether it's necessary to re-enable/check.
>

> It actually doesn't *need* to return False; pass is the same as not
> returning anything or returning None. The boolean check just treats it the
> same way as False. "Should it?" is another question. On the one hand it's a
> bit more clear, this value is called and always returns False, unless a
> backend has overridden it. On the other hand, pass is in keeping with other
> methods in that class that are meant to be overridden in backends, so I went
> with pass to emphasize that aspect of the code.

Hmm, well, I did not know that falling off the end of a method with pass
guaranteed a return value of False or None (and can't find that noted in the
doc here: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/controlflow.html#pass-statements)
so in my mind explicitly returning False would be clearer/better...

Cheers,
Karen