On 12/03/2012, at 6:58 AM, Joe & Anne Tennies wrote:

> I started a new page off the old
> https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SchemaEvolution
> (https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SchemaEvolutionDesign). It's not
> complete at this point, I just did a brain dump of what I remembered hearing
> in the past. Sounds like I'm not TOO far off with my memory.
>
> Also, is the following the thread you are thinking of?
> http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/6239a63c9ad874b5/

That's the GSoC discussion I'm thinking of; it covers the db.backends part of
the discussion. There is another post by Andrew from a little earlier that also
includes the 'migration accounting' part of the problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/bac15726fa5e9662

> Also, Russell, I didn't know you were the one behind django-evolution. I may
> need to pick your brain at some point. I have a couple ideas I'd like input
> on, but I'm not quite ready yet. Now I wish I had tried harder to get to
> PyCon this year, but work was supposed to be quite hectic this week.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to PyCon this year. However, I'm more than
happy to have my brain picked by someone who is volunteering to pitch in on
schema migration.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)