I started a new page off the old
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SchemaEvolution (
https://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/SchemaEvolutionDesign). It's not
complete at this point, I just did a brain dump of what I remembered
hearing in the past. Sounds like I'm not TOO far off with my memory.

Also, is the following the thread you are thinking of?
http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_thread/thread/6239a63c9ad874b5/

Thanks in advance,
Joe Tennies

Also, Russell, I didn't know you were the one behind django-evolution. I
may need to pick your brain at some point. I have a couple ideas I'd like
input on, but I'm not quite ready yet. Now I wish I had tried harder to get
to PyCon this year, but work was supposed to be quite hectic this week.

My goal is to

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 3:16 AM, Russell Keith-Magee <
russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:

> On 10/03/2012, at 1:52 AM, Joe & Anne Tennies wrote:
>
> > While, I generally agree with the current approach, especially this
> close to release. I'm going to play devil's advocate for a bit.
> >
> > Schema migrations have been talked about for quite a while. There are at
> least 3 external implementations I know of: South, nashvegas, and
> django-evolution. I'm unsure of the status of django-evolution, but the
> other two appear quite active.
>
> Django Evolution isn't dead. It's sleeping. It's got lovely plumage, you
> know... :-)
>
> Seriously -- I stopped working on Evolution several years ago. I formally
> handed over the project to Christian Hammond almost 2 years ago, but this
> has been mostly for maintenance purposes, rather than active development.
> For the benefit of posterity, I blogged about the reasons [1].
>
> [1] http://cecinestpasun.com/entries/end-my-evolution/
>
> > A concern in my mind is that all three go off and do things totally
> different ways, and the migration path to a common standard is more
> difficult.
> >
> > I love the idea of not choosing a tool to make the migrations, but
> instead add to the ability to execute migrations. Now comes the
> conversation of what that means. I would love to try to get this in to
> Django 1.5.
>
> A lot of this conversation has already happened, and it has core team
> approval. Most of these discussions were elaborated in last year's aborted
> GSoC 2011 project; search the django-dev archives from this time last year
> to see the details of what was being proposed.
>
> The short version:
>
>  * Add a db.backends module to provide an abstract interface to migration
> primitives (add column, add index, rename column, rename table, and so on).
>
>  * Add a contrib app that performs the high level accounting of "has
> migration X been applied", and management commands to "apply all
> outstanding migrations"
>
>  * Provide an API that allows end users to define raw-SQL migrations, or
> native Python migrations using the backend primitives.
>
>  * Leave the hard task of determining dependencies, introspection of
> database models and so on to the toolset contributed by the broader
> community.
>
> Under this approach, South would still need to exist, but it would be a
> tool leveraging the primitives exposed by Django itself. Over time, more
> features from South (and any other migration support projects that emerge)
> could be merged into trunk as the community converged on a feature set or
> an implementation.
>
> One of the big issues that needs to be addressed is testing -- we need to
> have the infrastructure that allows us to check that migrations have been
> applied. Arthur Koziel's AppRefactor (a GSoC 2010 project) has some
> analogous testing problems, so getting migrations into trunk may be
> dependent on getting the App Refactor into trunk as well. The good news is
> [...]

Joe & Anne Tennies
tenn...@gmail.com