While, I generally agree with the current approach, especially this close
to release. I'm going to play devil's advocate for a bit.

Schema migrations have been talked about for quite a while. There are at
least 3 external implementations I know of: South, nashvegas, and
django-evolution. I'm unsure of the status of django-evolution, but the
other two appear quite active.

A concern in my mind is that all three go off and do things totally
different ways, and the migration path to a common standard is more
difficult.

I love the idea of not choosing a tool to make the migrations, but instead
add to the ability to execute migrations. Now comes the conversation of
what that means. I would love to try to get this in to Django 1.5.

*Now on to the meat of what I really want:*
Is there something along the lines of the GNOME design group for Django?
(example: https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Web). I'd love a template for
the wiki or even better an app to discuss these things. If only we had some
web developers ;) So, is there a sanctioned tool already out there? Or
should I start building up a page on the wiki for this? I think most things
become much easier once one gets a blueprint and requirements for what the
design goals are. Especially if one can get an initial "this looks
acceptable" by a core committer before "wasting one's time" because the
requirements weren't even correct.

Does github or bitbucket have such a feature I don't know about? Does
launchpad.net blueprints meet this? Is there some other place I don't know
about that someone could point me to?

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Luke Plant <l.plant...@cantab.net> wrote:

> On 09/03/12 14:49, Tom Evans wrote:
>
> >> Yes, since no one needs it. Okay no one isn't true, but no one (for true
> >> this time) who needed it stepped up and said "I'll implement it and see
> that
> >> it ends up in trunk"
> >>

> > I'm sorry, that completely mis-characterises the situation. Lots of
> > people want this, but every single time this has been brought up since
> > I started using django (1.0), a core dev or BFDL has explicitly ruled
> > it out, saying "we cannot do this, requires schema migration, we'll
> > look at it for the next version".
>
> This is not true. There have been times when we have said we cannot
> consider it right now, and that a solid proposal should be brought up at
> the calls for proposals for 1.1/1.2/1.3 etc., or at other times when the
> core developers can look at it.
>
> And every time, the proposal has either been missing or simply not been
> adequate - for example, the GSoC 2010 and 2011 proposals regarding this.
> Russell gave detailed feedback on why these solutions were not adequate
> [1], and at other times has provided feedback on possible strategies
> [2]. And the people who went away to work on the problem have gone
> silent or admitted defeat. One presumes they fixed their immediate
> problem in a way that would not be a general solution, and moved on, and
> that is perfectly understandable. A adequate solution to this is very
> hard, and probably requires solving several other big problems first
> (like at least one of lazy foreign keys/virtual models/database
> migrations).
>
> It isn't, however, impossible. Our definition of 'need' is that someone
> is sufficiently motivated to overcome the obstacles, and contribute a
> solution that works for other people as well as themselves.
>
> Regards,
>
> Luke
>

> [1] http://goo.gl/swTpr
>
> [2] http://goo.gl/7p1JN