On Mar 19, 2:32 pm, Jani Tiainen <rede...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here I would like to rise my concern - specially being long time Django
> and Oracle user.. =)
>
> First at all everyone can get hands on Oracle Express database, free of
> charge standard Django stuff works in it very well. Geodjango doesn't
> work with it. AFAIK MSSQL is something that is not officially supported
> by Django so that shouldn't be much a problem if it's not touched.
>
> Secondly Django has been in the past very consistent in support of four
> databases: SQLite, PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle. All supported pretty
> well as well as possible. I'm aware that doing migrations for all
> databases is a time taking challenge to tackle around all peculiarities
> in different backends. So hopefully that consistency is kept even with
> new features like this.

I think what was meant in above postings was that it is not needed to
do all the different backends during the GSoC, not that they do not
need to be done at all before commit.

What is important is that the MSSQL support (or any other 3rd party
backend) is possible to write without core changes. Django's backend
architecture is such that it is unlikely any problems arise, but
nevertheless it is important to verify the support isn't limited to
core backends.

> And yes, second thing is of course Geodjango part which takes complexity
> to whole new level.

Handling Geodjango is an important proof that the API is correct.
Geodjango support should be ideally a completely separate patch to
contrib, without any need for core changes. Of course, doing all of
this in the GSoC is just too much, but trying to do a little part
(preferrably the _hardest_ part) is an important verification that the
API is correct.

My opinion is that in the long term Django should aim for better
support of custom model fields, and having good support for these
fields in schema migrations is one important part of that. Geodjango
is an interesting example of hard to do custom model fields

 - Anssi