On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM, ptone <pres...@ptone.com> wrote:

> While git may be common, and your problem not unique - this is still a
> condition of your dev environment rendering modification dates invalid.
> There might be other situations where this is the case (I've run into
> scripts that muck with modification dates based on camera/jpeg metadata).
>
> So after some further discussion on IRC - it was determined that md5,
> while somewhat common, was far from a standard, and was likely not to be
> available as remote call for network based storage backends. And so the
> final resolution is to wontfix the ticket.
>
> In the end - this lack of a universal fingerprint is just a limitation of
> our storage tools.
>
> -Preston

Is there a reason this fingerprint must be universal? If you're dealing
with a backend like S3, where network latency and expensive writes are a
problem, but md5 is a builtin remote call (available on any GET), why not
just do an md5 sum in the _save() method? Basically, just buffer the File
object you receive, take an md5 in python, and then make a decision whether
to upload or not. In the common case of reading from local disk and writing
to S3, this is a big win, and doesn't require cooperation from any other
backends, or standardizing on md5 as a fingerprint method.

Best,
Alex Ogier