Hi Jeremy,

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:15:04 AM UTC+2, jdunck wrote:

> Would it be reasonable to have a backend-specific hook to determine a
> fingerprint, where that could be mtime or md5 or whathaveyou as long as
> equality (or maybe ordering) works?

Given our discussion in IRC yesterday the answer seems to be no. Eg
consider this: collectstatic actually uses two backends, a "source"
storage-backend and an "upload" storage-backend. Now if the
storage-backends are allowed to return any fingerprint, how would you make
sure that both of these backends actually use the same fingerprint? So
essentially to have a S3-backend which (let's just abuse modified_time for
now) returns a md5 hash from modified_time, you'd have to also change the
other backend you want to use (usually just the local filesystem backend)
to return md5 instead…

Cheers,
Florian