from thread "Moving database backends out of the core"

On Mar 7, 2013, at 5:13 PM, Russell Keith-Magee <russ...@keith-magee.com> wrote:

> There is, however, a possible middle ground, following the example set by
> Flask: we introduce to Django a list of "officially recognised" extensions.
> These extensions are still maintained as external projects, but the core team
> promise to include these projects as part of the testing regimen for a
> release. If the MSSQL backend were recognised like this, we would run the
> full Django test suite against the MSSQL backend, and if that testing
> revealed a bug in the test suite which was identified as being due to a
> change in Django's codebase, that bug would be a release blocker (Bugs in the
> backend itself would still be the backend's responsibility, and not release
> blocking on Django)
>
> Looking outside database backends, this could also apply to high-profile
> projects like haystack, django-registration, and so on. This would also serve
> to highlight projects in our community that are 'defacto standards', or good
> examples of reusability, without needing to expand the core team or the size
> of contrib, and show that the core project is explicitly interested in the
> broader ecosystem.

I think this is a great idea. The backend testing makes sense to me (run
Django's tests). How does testing sanctioned apps work, though? You run _their_
tests, and if they are caused by bugs in Django then they are release blockers?

I really like the idea, and would like to help if I can. I imagine the leg work
will be mostly in setting up the testing infrastructure, although the difficult
part will be setting guidelines for and choosing apps that should be in this
group.

Ryan