Hi,

On Sunday, March 10, 2013 7:48:02 PM UTC+1, Petite Abeille wrote:

> (1) Whereabout way to get table metadata (i.e. query the table to figure
> out its data to figure out its meta data). Instead, using the data
> dictionary directly would be more reliable and to the point, e.g. select
> owner, table_name, column_name, ... from [user|all]_tab_columns.

Patches welcome…

(B) oracle / introspection.py uses the USER_ flavor of the data dictionary
> (e.g. USER_TABLES).  The USER_ flavor only shows objects which are directly
> owned by the schema. Which may be quite restrictive. You may be better off
> using the ALL_ flavor, which shows all the objects visible to the schema,
> irrespectively of ownership.

Probably, though no one complained so far ;)

As far as that test_get_key_columns failure goes, I couldn't track down the
> code for connection.introspection.get_key_columns… but I suspect it has
> something to do with point (1)...

Well the issue is that nobody wrote get_key_columns yet, so we'd need a
patch which adds this method to the oracle backend, examples can be taken
from postgres
https://github.com/django/django/blob/master/django/db/backends/postgresql_psycopg2/introspection.py#L70-85

Postgres supports information_schema which is part of the SQL standard, I
don't think Oracle supports it. If you know the oracle tables, please
provide us with the query which brings out the needed data…

Thx & Regards,
Florian