It seems that I have underestimated the barrier of entry to the Google
Summer of Code. With so many hoops to jump through and very little time
left, I will not play against the odds.

I still look forward to contributing to Django, but not as a GSoC student.

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Carl Meyer <c...@oddbird.net> wrote:

> On 05/01/2013 11:18 AM, Nicolas Bouliane wrote:
> > Reading the description of django-floppyforms, I realize most of these
> > features are overlapping with those in my proposal.
> >
> > What do you think would be advisable from that point?
>
> In general, I think your proposal would benefit from additional research
> and specifics, including a detailed schedule estimate (successful
> proposals usually include a schedule with at minimum weekly granularity).
>
> I believe every item in your proposal (with the exception of
> form.as_label()) already has a ticket in Trac with an extensive history
> of discussion and patches. You mention only one of those existing
> tickets (#9321), and even there you don't discuss how you propose to
> find a path forward that resolves the concerns that have been raised on
> that ticket over the years.
>
> I also am personally inclined against the form.as_label() and fieldsets
> proposals. I think that form HTML presentation (including fieldsets)
> properly belongs in templates, not in Python code, so I dislike adding
> more as_* methods or more Python-level layout definitions.
>
> I don't think overlap with django-floppyforms (or any other third-party
> project) is itself problematic for a GSoC proposal, but the proposal
> certainly needs to discuss the overlap, understand why the functionality
> is currently in a third-party project, make a good case for why it
> should be in core instead, and be clear about where existing code will
> be reused or new code written.
>
> Hope this is helpful - good luck with your proposal!
>
> Carl

> .

*Nicolas Bouliane*
(450) 577-1663 ยท nicolasbouliane.com