On Sunday 12 May 2013, Łukasz Rekucki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11 May 2013 22:58, Shai Berger <s...@platonix.com> wrote:
> > In
> > other communities, I have usually seen "needsinfo" as a ticket state,
> > rather
> > than a reason for closing; such tickets are then closed later, if enough
> > time
> > has passed and no further info is received.
>
> To me that's just giving false hope for people viewing that ticket. If the
> ticket is open, there's a reasonable expectation that there is some action
> you can take to make it progress, but you most likely you can't as only the
> reporter has the needed info.

I disagree; every person who encounters a problem consistent with the existing
description, can provide more info. This is, IMO, the only real (rather than
perceived) difference between closing as "needsinfo" and keeping the ticket in
some sort of open limbo -- if someone else runs into the same problem, I'd
rather they enhance an existing report than start a new one; and nobody looks
at closed tickets.

> For bugs, "needsinfo" is almost identical to
> "cannot reproduce" (aka "worksforme") and I can't think of a reason to keep
> such a bug open.

I hope I've given you one.

> Of course, there are people who will take everything personal. Even if it's
> getting your ticket closed by a stranger on a public bug tracker.

When people have already taken the trouble to file a ticket, if it is closed
and the closure seems arbitrary and off-handed, they will be offended. I would
be. Then again, I would actually read the comments on the ticket...

Shai.