Hi Shai,

On 11 mai 2013, at 22:58, Shai Berger <s...@platonix.com> wrote:

> On one hand -- should I have closed it myself, and saved a core-dev the
> trouble? The triaging guide[1] seems very inconclusive about this, advising
> on
> other reasons to close tickets but not on needsinfo (except "tickets which
> are
> really feature requests").

Yes, this is the best course of action. I'll clarify the contributing guide.

There are several reasons for this:
- it increases the signal-noise ratio in open tickets,
- often the reporter never responds because he moved on and no longer cares,
- we have to keep some balance between the efforts required from people who
  report bugs and those who attempt to reproduce them.

For this ticket, if the reporter were paying my consulting rate — and that's
not far fetched, he can afford Oracle licenses after all — he would certainly
provide a more thorough description of his problem. Giving away our time
doesn't make it less respectable or valuable.

> On the other hand -- especially, in the wake of the "Perception of attitude
> in
> tickets" brouhaha -- should we really be closing tickets on needsinfo? In
> other communities, I have usually seen "needsinfo" as a ticket state, rather
> than a reason for closing; such tickets are then closed later, if enough time
> has passed and no further info is received. I realise that, when the person
> closing the ticket specifically says "when you have more info, please
> re-open"
> (as Aymeric did in this case), then the process is essentially the same, only
> a little more efficient; but I worry that this efficiency may carry a price
> in, as
> Simon put it, "perception of attitude in tickets".

When a ticket is closed a "needsinfo", it also carries the message that the
ticket wasn't reported properly, and thus wasted a bit of everyone's time.
Closing the ticket reflects this, for better or worse.

> For what it's worth, I, personally, would feel much more at ease setting
> tickets as "needsinfo" without closing them -- and if it's a ticket state,
> there should be no problem taking such tickets out of the reports developers
> use, so they're almost as far out of the way as closed tickets.

I don't think it's appropriate to ignore open tickets. If we're going to ignore
them, let's close them.

Plus, everything Carl said, and which I removed from my draft :)

--
Aymeric.